|Mr.Maria Gana Prakasam|
Monday, June 29, 2009
|1995-98||Rev.Fr.Maria Soosai Vincent|
This parish is well know for its contributions to the social welfare.The below listed self made establishments,stands self explanatory to it.
- St.Mary's Primary School
- St.Marys Primary School
- Bishop Arockyasamy Hr.Sec.School
- Matha Mahal
- Mini Mandapam -Community Hall
- Govt Co-operative Society - Public Distribution System.
- Vincent De Paul Society-Free Clinic.
- Youth Club
- Youth Club GYM
- Matha Finance
Friday, June 26, 2009
A feast celebrated on 5 August to commemorate the dedication of the church of Santa Maria Maggiore on the Esquiline Hill in Rome. The church was originally built by Pope Liberius (352-366) and was called after him "Basilica Liberii" or "Liberiana".
It was restored by Pope Sixtus III (432-440) and dedicated to Our Lady. From that time on it was known as "Basilica S. Maria" or "Maria Majoris"; since the seventh century it was known also as "Maria ad PrÃ¦sepe". The appellation "ad Nives" (of the snow) originated a few hundred years later, as did also the legend which gave this name to the church.
The legend runs thus: During the pontificate of Liberius, the Roman patrician John and his wife, who were without heirs, made a vow to donate their possessions to Our lady. They prayed to her that she might make known to them in what manner they were to dispose of their property in her honour.
On 5 August, during the night, snow fell on the summit of the Esquiline Hill and, in obedience to a vision which they had the same night, they built a) basilica, in honour of Our Lady, on the spot which was covered with snow.
From the fact that no mention whatever is made of this alleged miracle until a few hundred years later, not even by Sixtus III in his eight-lined dedicatory inscription [edited by de Rossi, "Inscript. Christ.", II, I (Rome, 1888), 71; Grisar (who has failed to authenticate the alleged miracle), "Analecta Romana", I (Rome, 1900), 77; Duchesne, "Liber Pontificalis", I (Paris, 1886), 235; Marucchi, "ElÃ©ments d'archÃ©ologie chrÃ©tienne", III (Paris and Rome, 1902), 155, etc.] it would seem that the legend has no historical basis.
Originally the feast was celebrated only at Sta Maria Maggiore; in the fourteenth century it was extended to all the churches of Rome and finally it was made a universal feast by Pius V. Clement VIII raised it from a feast of double rite to double major.
The mass is the common one for feasts of the Blessed Virgin; the office is also the common one of the Bl. Virgin, with the exception of the second Nocturn, which is an account of the alleged miracle. The congregation, which Benedict XIV instituted for the reform of the Breviary in 1741, proposed that the reading of the legend be struck from the Office and that the feast should again receive its original name, "Dedicatio SanctÃ¦ MariÃ¦"
Location of Kamanaickenpatti
Kamanaickenpatti is situated at 14 Km NE from kovilpatti, where Nadar and Vellalar communities lived. During 16th century (nearly 1600 AD) in Kayatharu nearly 45 families got baptized and followed the Catholic Church. After that conversion, people of Kamanaickenpatti also got baptized by St. John De Britto and a Church was also built by him in 1685 AD. After 1668 AD Kamanaickenpatti developed as an permanent settlement to Jesuits Priests for their religious works. Rev. Fr. Beschi served as the 7th parish priest in the Kamanaickenpatti parish.
Name of Kamanaickenpatti
The name of Kamanaickenpatti was derived from the name of a king. There were two brothers Ettapa Naicker and Kama Naicker who ruled these places during 1600 AD. One village was named as Kamanaicken patti and the nearby village is named as Ettu Naickenpatti.
Cause for migration
Due to religious riot (vedakalapanai) in the 17th century, (1700-29) old Kamanaickenpatti was fully destroyed, even now the destroyed place can be seen in the north side of the Cemetery. During the religious riot (vedakalapanai) King Chegavera RamaKachil Ettapa Naicker released and laid a stone order in 1665 AD to protect the Catholics from the enemies. The same laid stone was now erected in front of the Church. The quarrel and fight against Christians was very severe, and there is no safety for them to survive. This made the people to think of migration to other places,and in the mean time Mr. Swamiyadian Thirupapu migrated to Maravankudieruppu.
During 1700 AD migration took place to Maravankudieruppu and Mr. Swamiyadian Thirupapu arrived here and established Maravankudieruppu. He married Perianachi @ Peria Nadachi, a woman from the neighboring Kalasamiraki kudieruppu and settled here. They had no children, so he adopt three childrens of his brother and a relatives child from Kamanaickenpatti and make them as their heirs. They believed to be the ancestors of this village.
Mr. Swamiyadian Thirupapu was an Army Officer in the Vadugar Kingdom of that area. Since he was a Catholic, he was tortured by the then Vadugar King. So he left the job and came to Travancore Cochin Samasthanam where Christians were accepted by the King (Samastham means Kingdom). He joined the army and participated in the Vadesery war against Vadugar and fulfilled the basic needs for the Victory of the war. The king honored him by the name "Maravan" which means Brave Man and allotted him this area. He was made the in-charge for Treasury of the area. So this place is called as Maravan Kudieruppu. The meaning for this is "Brave people".
Thursday, June 25, 2009
In Kottar Diocese, most of the Catholics are the followers of St. Thomas, or St. Francis Xavier. The people in Maravankudieruppu have a different history. Catholics here are baptized by St. John De Britto from Kamanaicken patti and hence there were said to be the followers of St. John De Britto.
In olden days, there where only few Catholics who lived as small groups and are not able to build a Church. So they build small Chapel called kurusady to fulfill their spiritual needs. Similarly in Maravankudieruppu too they build a small chapel in cemetery and dedicated it to Our lady of Assumption , the statue that was brought from Kamanaicken patti.
The tomb of Mr. Swamiyadian Thirupapu is behind the chapel. Till 1920 Holy mass was not celebrated there, but prayers were conducted by Laymen (upathesiar). He is responsible for maintaining the church with the offerings and the excess will go to him as salary.
His duty is to Light up the lamp with oil (punnai) and start the prayer service. Our lady in the church made lot of miracles to the people and till now people believe the cemetery chapel and pray there regularly. As population increases the chapel had less capacity to accommodate more devotees. So they decided to build another church.
This is located near the western side of the well.Over 100 people can able to sit and pray.Inside the Church there are the statues of Blessed Virgin Mary, (now on St.NallamanaMatha curia) Infant Jesus and St.Joseph where placed on the altars.In front of the Church there was an bell , but it is not efficiently to cover over the distance.So they decided and bought a big bell,but the Church was too old to hold the bell. So they hang up the bell on the near by Tamarind tree.( presently the bell is used in our present Church).
For a long period ago the Second Church was used as an veranda school for over 120 years. The school was up to Second standard only and the teaching method is by writing on the sand. When the school was build and shifted to road side, then the School here was transfered as Church.After that, services from the cemmetery chapel also transfered to the Second Church.Basically this is used as an Kurusady. Mainly this is used for multipurpose to conduct various functions.
1.Prayers and services in the evening.
2.Marian Month (May) is celebrated very grantly.
3.Village committe meetings.
From 1940 itself the Holy mass services was started by Rev.Fr.Richard.When tlhe Holy mass celebration started, then the feast is also celebrated on August.Once in a Month,the Holy mass is celebrated on Sundays at 7.00 AM . After 1947-51 Rev.Fr.Ambrose celebrated the Holy mass once in a week. From then Marriage and other Sacrements were also held there.(previously for Marriage and other Sacrements people go to Kurusady Parish).When the population become more the chapel was too weak to conduct services.So they decided to build another church.
Third church have been survived in three places and finally planned near to the play ground.As soon as the construction work started, the foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Kottar Rev.Fr.Rockangiswamy in 1945.For Collecting fund the the people who were above 18 years must give duties, if not they will work as an service during constuction.
For mobilizing huge funds, people of Maravankudieruppu singing "Thukka pattu" to other Catholic parishes and collect donations Another spectacular one is the arch ,designed by the height of 60 feet and no other Church near by Maravankudieruppu is is built in this design.Then the tower of the Church is altered at the final stage.When the Church construction was partially completed and ready for service.
At December 11 1954 at 6.30 AM in the morning the Church was blessed and opened by the Bishop of Kottar Rev.Fr.Rockangiswamy with the parish priest of Kurusady Rev.Fr.D.C.Antony . During the Feasts, for hosting the flag intially they used Kammuku tree, then teak and they used concrete tower.
In earlier days Petromax lights and Candles were used in Churches.Later the Church was Electirified and decided to buy light and other accesories.In 1962 by singing "Thukka pattu" in 14 parishes and collected Rs.440 to buy Amplipier and Speakers. After that lightning arresters were bought by the help of the donators(very costly at that time).Mercury lights were also fixed, this light is having an glowing capacity of 2 Kms surrounding the Maravankudieruppu entire area.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Location of the Maravankudieruppu
Maravankudieruppu is a part of Nagercoil Municipality situated 3 km from Nagercoil, the capital of Kanyakumari district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The town / village is bordered on the West by Vattakarai Village, Pattakasalian Vilai and Kalaisirakkum Kudieruppu(Kalasamirakki kudieruppu) to the North, Keela Maravankudieruppu by East and on the South a small water canal, which flows from Pechiparai Dam.
In initial days the people settled near the east strait (Keela Oodai) and spread to entire Maravankudieruppu. The old Maravankudieruppu is bounded on the East by Erullapapuram strait, West by Vattakarai strait, and North East by Kalasamiraki kudieruppu, North West by Mangammal road and South by Kundal Pathu.